Monday, February 8, 2010

Today's post will be an educational post; a post full of figures, facts, maybe even a pie chart (we'll see how ambitious I feel by the end of this).

Here are some of the figures related to my search for a broadcast job(any resemblance to a certain line of credit card commercials is purely coincidental):

The cost of posting a broadcast resume on tvjobs.com: $40

Cost of a laptop with Final Cut to edit and create a demo reel: $1175

Cost of streaming a demo reel on digitaltalent.com: $75

Cost of mailing resumes and demo DVDs all over the country: $207 (and counting)

Receiving little to no response: Priceless. (infuriating?)

In 2009, my final year at WSU, broadcast students were told to fear the worst: "There are no jobs! You'll be poor forever!" was the general sense conveyed by most. And to this point, at least in my case, they appear to be correct.

But when life gives you lemons...you eat the lemons? (Let's be real, most recent broadcast grads aren't rolling in the dough, and wasting food wouldn't be a prudent course of action here)

My ultimate goal is to be a journalist AND get paid for it.

But until that time, what's to stop me from reporting the news for FREE?

Nothing. That's what.

Starting tomorrow, a new brand of reporting begins: independent reporting, grassroots reporting...Guerrilla Reporting.(I like the sound of that)

Here's a preview of what to expect:

Seattle Drivers: Have you ever been slowed by a cyclist in traffic and thought to yourself "Ten Points!"?

If so, you're not alone.

The City has plans to deny you those points, as bikers everywhere heave a sigh of road-rage reduced relief.

Check in tomorrow to see what the plan entails and how much it will cost taxpayers.




Until next time, I leave you you with this pie chart. WARNING: these are startling figures:





Percentage of pie I like:



Likes: 100%
Dislikes: 0.0%

(My next post will include a pie chart that illustrates how bad puns negatively impact blog readership...)

Happy Monday, kids.

---S.M.







2 comments:

  1. im more of a fan of pie interiors and not so much exteriors, but it looks to me like your pie chart is 100% apple pie. therefore, you quite possibly have made the most salivating pie chart known to man. "scrumtrilescent" is real folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, keep living the dream man. I dropped a few hundred dollars on my web site, but you've gone above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete